Sunday, March 22, 2009

instead of reading


-that's the pig, on the left is the couple who owned the house where we were, the lady on the left is leaving for Cuba on Wednesday..it was her party-

...I'd rather tell you about the Cuba party! Last night Deanna and I went to a going away party for an older lady who has been visiting her son and daughter-in-law from Cuba. Deanna's host mom is from Spain and the lady that is leaving is one of her mom's best friends. Let me just tell you, Cuba parties are better than other parties. They cooked a pig since 9am on a rotisserie (I guess that's what it's called?), and when we got there the owner of the house was working diligently to get ALL of the meat off of the pig. All of the old ladies kept sneaking over and taking pieces of meat though. We walked in and immediately were swarmed with kisses and hugs and "bonita! bonita!". They welcomed us into their family right away. We then were offered and given fritters...which I guess I'll describe like cheese sticks you get as an appetizer, but they had pork and delicious cheese sauce in them. One old lady pretty much forced Deanna and me to eat about a million of those.

Deanna's host mom and dad

Then we sat in the corner with Puddy and her husband (Deanna's host parents) and just watched everything that was going on. Spanish people are so animated and lovely. One of the men asked us if all Americans were as pretty as us. He wasn't flirting or anything, he was just being nice. Then it was dinner time and we ate SO much. There was tons of pork of course, a cooked salad that Deanna asked what was in it and tthey said "probably a little bit of everything!" (it was like mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, cheese, peppers (or capsicum here), and i forget what else. There was also black beans and rice!!!! My favorite meal EVER! I was SO happy! There was some kind of vegetable that no one that I asked knew the name of that was white and sticky kind of and very slimy to eat, but it was still pretty tasty...I'll try to find out the name of it so I can let you know.


THEN it was salsa time! Everyone had been drinking and celebrating by then, so sometime turned up the music really loud, and automatically all of the chairs were cleared from the room (we got lucky because we were sitting on the couch) and everyone jumped up and started salsa dancing! We watched for a little while, then they noticed that the two Americans were still sitting down, so they pulled us up and we danced with them! It was really SO much fun! Oh...funny story...we stood out so much, first of all we were the only two Americans there, and second of all, we were wearing pretty much the same exact thing! We both had on jean shorts, a brown belt, a white shirt, and flipflops, haha it was pretty ridiculous. Anways, back to salsa! They taught us so many moves and we enjoyed it so much. I really liked watching them dance as well though. They were just so beautiful and even sexy when they were salsa dancing. I'm sure that most of them had known this dance since they were kids.

notice the American's matching outfits..boring huh?

Then it was dessert time, and Deanna and I weren't even allowed to pick what we wanted and serve ourselves. A few of the old ladies gave us our plates with everything that was on the table in it! We had homemade flan, some sort of coffee something cake (I didn't like that one so much), and a pineapple something that was definitely my favorite! (it reminded me of banana pudding, except with pineapple instead) We couldn't finish all of it because we were already so full from dinner.


This was during some of the goodbyes that we couldn't actually understand...the guy on the left kept blurting out while his mom (right beside him) was trying to make a goodbye speech and she kept swapping at him and telling him to shut up.

We danced some more and there was speeches that we couldn't really understand, and there were shots taken (I think only by the son who's mom was leaving...he was the funniest guy ever), and more dancing, and hugs and laughter and tears. It was a really really neat thing that we were able to experience. ok, now it's way too late for me to be up. I'll put up pictures from the party tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. i will be expecting a private "salsa" lesson when you get back! looking forward to seeing the pics. kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, after seeing the pics, definitely a salsa lesson!! looked to me like you and your friend had no problem in representing the usa. sorry my "name" shows as "mom" --i'm not very good at this and somehow it is using the same profile that I use for Kristen. take care, kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's ok, you are one of my other mom's! I miss you! I'm going to see Kristen TODAY!! we both needed some familiar love and this was a good weekend, and Kristen found a good price for a ticket for me today so I'm going. I'll send her your love! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess you will be back before you get this,but hopefully I will get to talk to you while you are with Kristen. Pray you had a safe trip. Love, your other mom, Mama Kay

    ReplyDelete