Monday, March 23, 2009

so...I suppose I've been a little nostalgic today. First it started out talking to Hawke on skype/phone before I even got out of bed. That always makes my day better. Then I open up my door and I have a package! It was from my parents with some books a need for Children's Lit, a shirt that keeps me warm when the ac is on too high or if I get a little sad, a bar of homemade soap to give Q, and a letter. In the envelope there was a little note from my dad, an article that reminded my parents of me when I was little - something to the extent of completely taking over their bed during the night - and a letter from my mom. It all made me very, very happy and feel missed and loved, but with the knowledge that I am still doing something great that I will never forget and won't regret. On the front of the card from my mom there is a quote:

"I would often have been lonely...
if it had not been for letters."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

That is exactly how I feel, but I know that I have it a ton easier than that Eleanor did when she felt lonely....I have the Internet to keep in touch as well as letters.

I really enjoy, actually love, getting letters though. They are so much more concrete.

Also, I already have inherited one of my mom's hobbies...collecting cards to send to people. I have so many at home that I bought because I knew it fit one certain person so well, but then I probably never sent it. When I get home, I'm going to try to write those letters, because even if they are to people who are closer than half a world away they are still so appreciated.

One thing that I'm going to start doing like my mom though is writing my letter on another sheet of paper and putting it in the card...just in case the person I send it to wants to recycle it to another person. That means that so many people could see these great cards! That's what my mom and her friends do, and I really like the idea.

Also, I put up all of my pictures today on the corkboard that's in my room! It made my room so much happier, and now it's more "my room" than just the room that I'm staying in. I really love walking by it and smiling every time.

1 comment:

  1. the very same day that i read this, i came across another quote by eleanor roosevelt. i liked it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete