Saturday, March 7, 2009

no buses run on Sunday.

So Deanna came over yesterday after the regular Saturday afternoon grocery shopping excursion of Julie, Matt, and myself. We had dinner with the fam and watched some ridiculous movie about an old Playboy Bunny who gets kicked out of the mansion because she turns 27 then she ends up becoming a house mom at some sorority house when "loser" girls..oh it may be called House Bunny. Well anyways, it teaches terrible morals for most of the movie, and it's just an absurd movie. Anyways, that was way off from what I was going to write. hm...

oh yea! so Deanna and I decided we were going to get cultured....haha there was a 2 hour break right here in my writing because of the need of a serious nap, ok here we go again....we decided we would go to this art show that was downtown (actually they call it the city, but I just can't stop saying downtown for some reason) at Dance North City that a girl in my art class told me about, there was supposed to be a live band and drinks and food and art, a good time I know! Except we got there two hours late because of the movie watching we did earlier, and it was kind of still going on we think, except it seemed more exclusive than we thought it would be. I guess you needed to know someone who was there probably, so we left. But whatever, we tried.

Next we decided to talk down to Flinder's Street, which is the street that is filled with too many night clubs and bars, but we passed all of these noisy places because we still wanted a pretty chill night and we ended up sitting at Molly Malone's Pub. It was really nice, we sat outside on the sidewalk where there were chairs and tables for a while, having a beer and listening to the live music that was playing inside. It was a great temperature and there was just a light breeze that felt wonderful! The band was playing songs like Breakfast and Tiffany's and I Would Walk 500 Miles and things like that, so that was a lot of fun singing to them...then we got kicked off of those tables because they were putting them up, so we moved to the Beer Garden, which is just another term for a courtyard I guess...it was a lot quieter there than inside of the pub so that's why we decided to move there.

We ended up catching the bus at 1:11am or something like that because we knew that when we got dropped off at stockland we still had to walk to Deanna's house, which is sort of far away. As soon as we got off the bus, we figured out we could have actually taken it to the uni but it was already gone by then, and we were ok with walking. From the time we left the city to the time we got to Deanna's house, I think we timed it to be about an hour and 15 minutes. Which if we would have taken a taxi, it would have been only about a 10 minute drive, but we have to save money! I guess I've realized since I've been here, how wonderful it is to have a car when you need it. Yea, definitely I've learned that...this morning when I woke up, I was ready to walk to uni then catch the bus home, except then we found out there there no buses on Sunday, how lame. I guess I got another good walk this morning though, but it was just so hot.

I have a feeling I'll meet more people this week. Well I really hope I do, but I guess I'll put my mind towards studying and stuff..I really have a bad attitude towards school, but I shouldn't I mean, I'm in Australia taking pretty neat classes, so I'm going to work on that.

There was supposed to be a cyclone around here...it actually got up to a category 3 cyclone (which is our hurricane), but it missed up and is still going south I think. I'm glad we didn't get it, but we did get some pretty heavy winds and rains especially on Friday and yesterday it rained for a while.

Gosh, I'm so hungry, I wonder whose night it is to cook. We usually eat at 7pm here pretty regularly on the dot, but not tonight I guess. I took the greatest nap this afternoon! It turned out to be a 2 1/2 hour one haha

After our classes tomorrow, Deanna and I are going to walk to her house and then walk to that great pool I was telling you about some other time. We've been trying to go forever, but it just hasn't worked, so hopefully tomorrow is the day!

Sometimes I get Australia time and North Carolina time mixed up... my computer is set for NC time so I can know what time it is to talk to people from home and stuff, so like right now it is 5:21am NC time and it is 7:20pm Australia time so it's dark out in both places right now and it can get confusing. Oh wait, does my computer automatically change for the time change at home? When someone wakes up at home I'll have to ask them what time it is. I don't know if we have a time change here, I'll have to ask about that too at dinner. Time changes confuse me, my dad said something about it having to due with saving money on energy I guess when they first started it, but it still confuses me.

I think Tuesday I'll have to go laundry. Now I have to go research about my ancestors for my class tomorrow...then I have to read Seven Little Australians for my children's lit class.

1 comment:

  1. i can just picture you downtown, drinking, on a cool summer night. it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete